Throttle-by-Wire

Programmer nwester at eidnet.org
Mon Jan 21 15:16:28 GMT 2002

Well, kinda, not really...this is how it really works.

Fuel is supplied to the injectors through fuel rails inside the cylinder
heads. Also supplied to the injectors is high pressure engine oil. As the
computer determines that a cylinder should fire it signals the Injector
Driver Module. The IDM sends a 110 volt pulse-width modulated signal to the
injector solenoid. When the injector solenoid is actuated, it opens a poppet
valve which allows high pressure oil to flow into the intensifier piston.
The intensifier piston is forced down, pressurizing the fuel inside the
injector. When fuel pressure inside the injector reaches approximatly 2700
psi, it causes the injector pintle to rise off its seat and fuel is injected
into the cylinder from the nozzel. As long as the poppet valve is open and
oil is flowing into the injector, fuel will be injected.

The computer controls how long the injector solenoid is energized
(pulse-width, or time on in milliseconds), but it also determines the
pressure of the fuel being injected by controlling the pressure of the oil
(IPR duty-cycle, or the percentage of time on vs. off--AKA dwell) in the
cylinder heads. The computer determines this based on engine load and driver
demand by monitoring various sensors. Since the cavity at the top of the
intensifier piston is seven times the size of the fuel cavity at the bottom,
fuel is injected at a pressure seven times that of the computer-controlled
oil pressure--oil pressure 3000 psi = injected fuel pressure 21000 psi. Due
to the high oil system pressures, the spring which closes the poppet valve
once the injector solenoid is deactivated has to be very strong--and because
of this, the solenoid needs to be 110 volts. Once the poppet valve is
closed, spring pressure returns the injector to its normal state and the oil
is exhausted into the valve cover area to return to the sump.

Lyndon.