DIY Traction Control

efi_student efi.student at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 24 17:12:28 GMT 2002

Without a doubt.  Selectable slip percentages, and a small host of
options that really work.  All of the features that have been discussed
so far were OEM on the '93 and later Toyota Supra turbo, including
ignition retard, a device to actuate the rear brakes automatically, fuel
cut, and a subthrottle blade controlled by a motor.  In fact, there is
also an accelerometer in the car so that you can't exceed 0.94 lateral
g's without invoking the traction control.  I really hate it.  Just when
I want some drive out of a turn with a little opposite lock the TRAC
cuts in and shuts down all the fun.  IMO it can also be a bad thing.
Just when you need some power to change the heading of the car to
prepare for a course change, it steps in and foils your plan.  That
said, there have been a couple of owners on the MkIV list that have
bought the Racelogic unit.  They universally rave about its outstanding
performance.  The OEM system is so disliked that there are complete
instructions on the website for disabling and even removing the entire
stock system.  That should say a lot about OEM vs. race quality traction
controls.  Obviously TC can be very good and very bad.  Keep that in
mind while designing your own...

Lance