Knock sensing and retarding ignition

Joseph Obernberger joelori at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 02:27:56 GMT 2002

Hi,
    I too have tried the LM1815 without much success - let me know what you find
out!
:-)
What sort of ignition does this engine use?  On my car (1991 MR2 Turbo) and on
various other japanese cars (RX7 for example), the ignitor just takes a nice 5
volt pulse to fire the coil.  The pulse width is the charge time, and the
ignitor fires on the down transition of the pulse.
On the MR2 the ECU gets two signals from the distributor (hall) and outputs a
signal (5 volt pulse) to the ignitor.
Not sure if that helps any...
                                                joeo