Knock sensing and retarding ignition

Stephen Webb swebb at netlab.uky.edu
Fri Jan 25 05:08:26 GMT 2002

>     I too have tried the LM1815 without much success - let me know what you find
> out!
> :-)
> What sort of ignition does this engine use?  On my car (1991 MR2 Turbo) and on
> various other japanese cars (RX7 for example), the ignitor just takes a nice 5
> volt pulse to fire the coil.  The pulse width is the charge time, and the
> ignitor fires on the down transition of the pulse.
> On the MR2 the ECU gets two signals from the distributor (hall) and outputs a
> signal (5 volt pulse) to the ignitor.
> Not sure if that helps any...

It's a Bosch electronic distributor.  Most of the Bosch distributors that
I have come across are all about the same as far as I can tell.  The
distributor is connected to the ignition control module, which I believe
incorporates a hall signal detector, dwell control, and a power transistor
of sorts to feed the coil (sort of like the ignitior, I guess)

The distributor gets +12 and ground, and supplies a low level signal on a
third wire (250 mV pp ?)

The setup works beautifully until I stick my hands in there trying to
improve it... :)

-Steve