Building a Flow bench, was: Measuring air flow

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 28 02:56:31 GMT 2002

The Dupuis tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Gus Mahon uses a leaf blower that makes 13" fully stalled.  I
> think this would work but you'd have to use more than one, or
> measure flow AND pressure drop and calculate go get to a standard
> known pressure drop.  Obviously, with the correct air pumps you'd
> regulate airflow to arrive at a known pressure drop and then
> measure the airflow, but with a pump that small, you'd have to run
> it wide open and measure both.

> I don't know how fast you hope to spin the turbo with an AC motor,
> as there are none that spin faster than 3550 rpm.   How powerful
> and fast a DC motor do you have?  interesting prospect though,
> being able to regulate the speed of a DC motor to vary airflow
> rather than use a restrictor orifice.

Just a word of advice; don't spin the things much faster than rated.
You _might_ have a 20% leeway.

Things can get *really* messy when blowers disintegrate.

A better way to regulate airflow, btw, is a bypass valve. It reduces
the flow obstruction to what you're measuring and you don't create
artificial turbulence or strange flows.