Problem with testing WB (heater circuit)

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Tue Jan 29 07:52:59 GMT 2002

I would suggest you use the 10 ohm, 5 ohm resistor test
for the heater ckt I previously described.  With a 10 ohm
in place of the sensor heater (at terminals J1, J2) the
LED should come on.  If it does, you should see about
10.4 V across the resistor.  It will heat really fast unless
you have a 10 watt resistor.

Correct voltages but no LED could be reversed LED.
Vout will never vary from 2.5V until the LED is on.  If
the voltage from the junction of R7-Q1to gnd rises to
near battery V but no LED, check voltage across LED.
More than 2V means its bad or reversed.

If that works, put the sensor heater back and monitor the
voltage across it.  It should rise to 10.4 V in 1/2 minute
and the LED come on.  During this same time, voltage
across R4 should be 1.25 V, decreasing slightly as the
LED comes on.  If J1-J2 voltage is way low, look for a
short (C3 backwards?).   If you are close to correct, its
possible your sensor needs a bit more than 1.5 A, which
the WB can't deliver.  Get back with test results, we could
do a work around to save an extreme sensor.

Bruce Roe