Throttle by wire (but short)

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 29 07:53:44 GMT 2002

William Shurvinton tapped away at the keyboard with:

> In last weeks discussion on fly by wire the conjecture was raised
> that the SW does not allow 'heel and toe' shifts. In the interest

It was mentioned that some implementations frustrate heel-and-toe
changes. TBW doesn't in its nature _prevent_ that; the over-zealous
engineers in their pursuit of meeting emissions requirements within
cost constraints, may however over-ride driver commands in their
implementation.

> of science we tested this today in an Audi S3, and can safely
> state that IN THIS CAR, you can heel and toe, at least if you have
> big feet as the pedals are not well spaced.

> Interestingly there is a company doing chipping for these that
> offers to repogram the cruise control stalk to allow the selecting
> from one of 5 different maps ( say: emissions test mode, hangover
> mode, rainy day mode, sunny and dry nutter mode etc). nice, if you
> like that sort of thing.

I think a "valet mode" is the only option that might make sense.