Building a Flow bench, was: Measuring air flow

Chris Conlon synchris at speakeasy.org
Thu Jan 31 19:45:39 GMT 2002

At 05:33 PM 1/28/02 -0000, TVS wrote:

>  On the subject of flow benches, I've built one using an orifice plate. My
>At the moment I'm just
>simply using two water manometers to measure the pressure drop across the
>orifice plate and the test piece.... but this is also because I can't work
>out how to wire up electronic pressure sensors (got two from Farnel). Toby

I built a flowbench from a shopvac, an orifice plate and a pressure
sensor. You'll also most likely want a datalogger, but even a very
simple one will work. The purpose was not to flow heads, but to
generate a flow vs. voltage curve for some AFMs. (Thus there was no
need for high static pressure/vaccum.) The bench is not calibrated
to any standard, but is fairly linear. So it will not tell me that
2V = 75CFM, but it will tell me that 2V = 1.72 times as much air
as 2.8V. (Not a real figure, just an example.) The *reason* I built
this bench was that I needed the data for a commercial product, so
if that offends you don't look here:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~synchris/eliza/afm-flowbench.html

The page is a little sketchy, and I know it could use more detail
in several areas, but it may be enough to help someone. If I get
the time someday I'll add more info.

   Chris C.