wb_lcd update / new list policy

Orin orin at diy-efi.org
Thu Jan 31 19:45:53 GMT 2002

> I'm afraid the new list policy may kill this project,  though.  I am not willing to give away the right to commercially duplicate my device after all the hard work and money I and others have put into it.  I do not mind doing this
> project for list members to use,  but I'm NOT putting in all this effort to allow others to profit from my (our) work.

If you want to retain commercial rights for a new project, it's subject to
the list's commercial policy, period.  You should note that the commercial
policy exists to prevent abuse of the list for free advertising, not
to prevent all commercial activity.  The list is here to share information
and a person's commercial affiliation should NOT prevent that person
from sharing information of interest to the list, even if it is information
about a product they sell.

> So what's it going to be?  Can projects be done on this list "For non-commercial,  non profit use only",  or is this project dead?

You have a problem.  The DIY-WB agreement sucks in your project and
_REQUIRES_ you to share it with the list.  So I consider your project
part of DIY-WB.

The reason for the current policy is simple and should be obvious.
We will not tolerate more arguing over definitions of 'at cost',
'non-profit', whether or not the agreement was broken and so on.
I am tired of having to moderate the list three weeks out of four
because of the same arguments.

GPL is well defined, mature and designed to avoid such problems.

Feel free to propose alternative policies to the list admins _off list_.
There are a whole host of alternative licences out at opensource.org.

Orin.