[Diy_efi] Ion Sensing project

William R Brandt wrbrandt at juno.com
Wed Jul 3 23:51:08 GMT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 23:51:40 +0300 (EET DST), Ville Vartiovaara
<vvartiov at cc.hut.fi> wrote:

>As someone's said, the _useful_ range is up to somewhere 400Volts. I
>haven't tried higher voltages, but I suppose that the problem caused by
>too high a voltage accross the plug instantly after ignition is not
>spontaneous arcing but the same effect as CDI systems use to extend
>spark. It is that the once-ignited arc continues burning, whereas we
want
>it to extinguish (as soon as possible) before ion signal can be seen..
>
>If someone has info about the arc-maintaining voltages of capacitor
>discharge systems, it could help.. I'd stay at 400V..;)

Hi Ville,

I have a CDI system on my car, and will look it up tonight after work. Is
this a feature that all CDI systems have? I don't remember anything with
my system manual that says anything about arc-maintaining.

Also have a question for you. What kind of ignition do you have on the
engine you are doing this ion project with? Are you able to use the
standard coils or something different?

Thank you,
Bill