[Diy_efi] Ion Sensing project-Strain Gauges & Basic goal?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 11 03:11:46 GMT 2002

Bruce tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Your claim was that is was the domes of the pistons that were what
> were *the big* problem.

The walls of the combustion chamber, not just the top of the piston.

> I was just pointing out, that was just one concern.

In terms of managing the combustion process, it's the main concern.
You can burn through a piston in a very short time. Ask any victim
of incompetent turbo-chipping.

Appropropriate bearing and shaft design can allow for higher
pressures than nominal - and generally do. Similarly, the design of
the head can also allow for higher pressures than nominal so that
fasteners and gaskets (if any) are appropriate.

Those topics are however well away from EFI and engine management
per se. They can't be ignored, but attributing bearing limitations
to knock is stretching it a bit. As I said; knock can exascerbate
problems inherent in other areas.