[Diy_efi] DIY_WB and stand alone ems

Eck, Joel Joel.Eck at hp.com
Fri Jul 12 14:05:29 GMT 2002

welcome to OBD-II. I've heard same from some OBD-II owners on too many =
occasions for my tastes. I think the theory behind putting this 'power =
limiter' in there was not so much to defeat attempts to add performance, =
but more so to ensure that temporary changes in conditions would not =
cause harm to the engine... That's not to say that ALL OBD-II will do =
this, but (at least) some of them do.

a friend of mine had a '98 dakota with the 5.2L (318 for you =
metric-challenged folks), he did some external mods, and they helped for =
no more than 2 weeks, and then the power increase was gone. He sprung =
for the power programmer (or whatever hypertech calls it), and then he =
couldn't keep the check engine light out at idle. He claimed hypertech =
told him it was 'normal' and to 'just ignore it'.   I couldn't believe =
it. He finally got fed up with the lousy gas mileage (13mpg in town, 17 =
on the highway - of course, driving habits had a bit to do with it) and =
got a subaru...