[Diy_efi] Re: Q regarding placement of a pressure sensor

Bob Moon yamahamoon at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 22:07:14 GMT 2002

Thanks for the info.

I understand that MAP and MAF are completely
different, but I am not attempting to just replace the
MAF with a MAP and call it a day.  I'm attempting to
map the MAF signal to the voltage output of the MAP so
I can use a uC to simulate the output of the MAF
(square pulse wave, rather than a voltage).  That way,
my ECU will still think it has a MAP.

Since I am only interested in the amount of air
flowing through the engine at that point in time, my
question is this: for a given airflow count from a
MAF, is there a given vac in the intake?  It seems to
me that a given airflow will always have the same
pressure signal, regardless of what's happening
downstream of the turbo.

I know this is all possible thanks to the existence of
various conversion kits (TRE's MASC and the VPC, for
examples of two voltage-to-frequency converters).  I
just don't know for sure where in the airstream I
should place the MAP tap to get the most reliable and
consistent readings.

Thanks again,

Bob Moon
'92 Laser RS AWD