[Diy_efi] I need to rectify a low ac voltage.

Jörgen Karlsson jorgen.m.karlsson at home.se
Sun Jul 21 20:33:25 GMT 2002

Thanks Brian!

My original post seems to have been delayed somewhere and I had already
found a good way to rectify the signal when I received your post. The
information about the instrumentation chips was however very interesting.

Jörgen

_circuits/diode_appl.html

You can probably combine filtering in the feedback loop and do it all in
one step.  If you provide details I can help more.

Also, depending on your application, you might try a ready-made
instrumentation chip.  For example I know there are chips out there that
take arbitrary AC input and output a (quite filtered) DC voltage
corresponding to the RMS value of the input.  These are intended for use
in meters and such.  I think a lot of them use bolometric sensing (i.e.
differential heating) but some might also use analog multiplication or
digital sampling.  For example, Analog Devices' AD536A / 636 / 637 / 737
/ 736.  I think the cheapest of these is under $5.

Brian