[Diy_efi] How does the electronic air admission butterfly works?

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Mon Jul 22 19:00:39 GMT 2002

Drive by wire is used in all the new Bosch ME 7 systems.  The Bosch
ME 7 uses a significantly different engine management technique than
the previous systems.

DBW was introduced to make controlling the engine a closed loop operation.
It has a throttle position sensor attached to the gas pedal.  On the
engine is an electric motor attached to the throttle blades.  The
throttle blades approximate your foot movement.  Although loosely.

The DBW system can control torque in first gear, turbo spool up, max
accelleration, rev limit, and other things.

All the new VW cars use it, Audi, Volvo, etc.  Some cars are more
'sporty' than others, with the rate of change of the butterfly reflecting
that statement.

If you go testdrive a VW Jetta and floor it in first gear, there is
no rev limit.  You simply hit 6000 rpm and it just doesn't go any
higher, it drives perfectly smooth at that rpm.

You need to contact Peugot to get the factory (Bently) manual.  You
will not find extensive electrical schematics on most new cars.

You might also want to look at one of those split second boost
controllers.  They are designed for VW 1.8T engines, but the ecu is
fairly similar, so it may work for you.

--Perry

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 06:22:10PM +0200, Emmanuel Martineau wrote:
> Hi,
> On the new Clio SPORT RS 2.0 there no cable beetween
> the accelerator and the air admission butterfly.
>=20
> Why this solution?
>=20
> If I want to increase the power of the clio RS 2.0
> engine (for car racing) what can I do with this
> butterfly?
>=20
> Where can I find all the electronic drawing of this
> car?
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> Emmanuel Martineau =20
>=20
>=20

--=20
Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation, Inc=09
perry at dainst dot com					 http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary =
safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with ei=
ther.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin