[Diy_efi] RE: Automotive wire

Shirley, Mark R MarkRShirley at eaton.com
Tue Jul 23 19:18:54 GMT 2002

-----Original Message-----
Message: 1
From: "Toffer Liu" <tof_l at hotmail.com>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:53:04 +0800
Subject: [Diy_efi] diff. bet  regular and automotive standard wires?

What's the difference between using regular or automotive standard wires?
Are automotive grade wires able to suppress more noise and be less affected
by heat? or are they just more robust?

Thanks,
Toffer

Toffer, most OEM-quality automotive type wire has insulation that is higher
temperature than typical PVC.  105C is typical.  Also, the insulation is
Cross-linked Polyethelene, instead of PVC.  The difference is that XLPE
doesn't
cold flow like PVC.  This keeps your weatherproof connector seals intact.
If you
have PVC wire on a GM-type weatherpak connector with seals, you just wasted
your
time and money, because the PVC wire will flow out underneath the seal and
the seal edge will be sitting on bare wire.  It won't happen overnight, but
it will
happen.  I used to engineer wiring harnesses for an OEM, and at least in the
"rust-belt"  wiring problems are the source of almost ALL of my reliability
problems
on my personal vehicles.  Damn salt gets into everything and corrodes wires
to dust.
Even troubleshooting, poke a hole in a wire for a DVM connection, and the
hole wicks
salt/water vapor in, and turns to dust.