[Diy_efi] SIEMENS CPU For DIY-EFI Users

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Sun Jul 28 12:30:08 GMT 2002

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 02:38:21PM +1000, Matt Donohoe wrote:
> Too bad it takes somebody mentioning a "dated" processor for the others to
> throw in the names of some newer and much better ones hey...
>
> Where would one source the Hitachi H8/3687 for $6 ? or the Motorola MPC556?

Avnet has them listed at that price.  My experience is that you can get a
vendor to price match.  The MPC556 is somewhere around $80-$100 the last time
I could get a ballpark.  It's more in the league of F1 controllers though.

> I think most people on here that are going to be working on projects are
> looking for a modern and not-dated processor so these may be very nice to
> work with? Well, if it's anythin like the 68HC11 from motorola that is,
> it'll be very easy to work with!

It's not an HC11, that's for sure.  The docs are pretty good, but the sample
code is sparse.  I'm developing with the 3664, the previous one in the line.
They are programmed in C and there is an excellent dev environment made by
Hitachi for them.  They are releasing a free (pay for support) version in
September.

> Matt

--Perry

--
Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation, Inc
perry at dainst dot com					 http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin