[Diy_efi] sequential injection timing

Mark Claywell clay0052 at UMN.EDU
Tue Jul 30 16:16:59 GMT 2002

Hello,

Most of my testing has been on an eddy current (Schenk) dyno with a digilog
controller or on a DC dyno. The DC dynos were WW2 vintage, but upgraded
with newer load cells. Calibration was done every few months (up and down).
You might be suprised that you can pick up an old eddy current or DC dyno
for not much money. The DC dyno's are however massive, for their absorbtion
size. You'll likely spend more money on the controller. I know some people
use LABVIEW and make their own controller using that, which can be cheaper,
but takes more screwing around.

Many of the times I wasn't worried how much power was being put out, just
what tuning parameters were worse or better. During one tuning session you
can just play with parameters at one site and read the change in output
torque. You can measure the gain even with a skewed calibration, as long as
you realize that you can only know that the percentage changes are good,
and that the actual power numbers are not. In a small change (<%5) the
output of the load cell is very linear and you can look at percentage
changes and get useful data without worry of calibration. That's how I can
measure 2% gains.