[Diy_efi] Spark Plug readings

r71chevy at earthlink.net r71chevy at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 30 16:25:54 GMT 2002

Cool, so in fact I do have it backwards. thanks for the info.

BW

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:14:08 -0400 Eric Fahlgren
<eric.fahlgren at mscsoftware.com> wrote:

r71chevy at earthlink.net wrote:

> I thought it reduced the CR.  My understanding was that it would quench
> combustion & effectivly reduce the likelyhood of detonation, therefore
> reducing the CR & HP.  Maybe I have it backwards?

Those big, fat hydrocarbon chains in oil act as a very effective octane
reducer, since they are so easy to light.  This causes oil in the mixture
to effectively "raise the CR," at least wrt detonation.