[Diy_efi] What is fuel atomization?

Eric Fahlgren eric.fahlgren at mscsoftware.com
Tue Jul 30 16:59:10 GMT 2002

Dan D'Andrea wrote:

> What is fuel atomization?  I could not find an answer to this question using
> google.

Here's my working definition, contrasted with vaporization.

Vaporization is the state change that occurs when a liquid becomes
a gas.  State change to vapor usually requires quite a bit of energy,
so the result is a gas much cooler than the original liquid.  (See
http://intenz.gotdns.com/~eric/cars/turbo/glossary/water_injection.html
for some numbers on vaporization of water.)

Atomization is the shearing of a body of liquid into small particles
of liquid, without significant state change.  These particles form a
suspension in a gas, not a solution like evaporation produces.