[Diy_efi] ignition timing variation

Stewart Prince sprince at csun.edu
Wed Jul 31 16:52:02 GMT 2002

--------------000300020804010102070407

After speaking with the student writing the software, I now have more
ammo to respond with....we're using a Motorola 6811 for both timing and
fuel.  With 8 teeth on the crank, there is 45 degrees between teeth.
 The time between teeth is inversely proportional to engine speed,
however only engine period and throttle position are used in the
ignition lookup table.  They have a bench version working with a hall
effect sensor and wheel mounted on an electric motor, and I observed
little or no fluctuation of timing here.  The engine is mounted on a
water brake dyno with a large flywheel.  I looked at the timing with a
standard timing light at 3000 rpm, and the timing signal jumps around,
both advancing and retarding about 2 degrees.  I asked about programming
errors, but the student ensures me that the timing is top priority on
the interrupt list.  A quick calculation shows me that 100 microseconds
at 3000 rpm is 15 rpm, thus if the engine changes 15 rpm in 45 degrees
and the timing is based on the previous tooth information, a two degree
error could easily occur.  I now have to find out if we're using speed
averaging (as per Eric's email) as I think this may smooth out the
pulsations.

Bruce:  I'll look into a better timing light, and no, it is not just a timing delay.  It really advances and retards

Joel:  More teeth mearn more accuracy, but when I was a student I designed a system based on one tooth and don't remember this being a problem.

Many thanks for all responses

STEWART PRINCE

PROFESSOR, MECHANICAL ENGINEERING

CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, NORTHRIDGE