CPU and hardware advice sought for EFI

Tony Bryant brd at paradise.net.nz
Tue Mar 5 08:28:06 GMT 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:48, you wrote:
> That is an impressive project, but, if you're going the fancy processor
> way, why not get yourself a dedicated engine management chip like the
> Hitachi SH7055F or the Infineon Tricore automotive version. Those chips
> have so many cool special peripherals you can actually run your engine
> steady state with 0% processor load.
> Your 586 might be very busy trying to fake it is a microcontroller. Not to
> mention you might be very busy implementing all these IO functions by hand.
> Good luck,

There's nothing you really need in the automotive cores. I use the cheap 'n'
cheerful* SH7014, which does everything I need (including driving 8
sequential injectors, and 4 ignition channels to 4us accuracy @ 8000RPM). You
really don't need all the extra timers etc. The SH7014 has 5 which is plenty.
TPUs etc are for people who can't write software. What else were you going to
do with processing power anyway?

*And most importantly obtainable.