Fuel Injector control quaestion.

Nicholas Parker nick.parker at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 6 09:39:10 GMT 2002

Hi,
I would like to get some feedback on my suggestion for controlling a fuel
injector.

Essentially there is a time when the injector is turning on, during which,
less than rated fuel flow is delivered  & there is a turn off time, during
which fuel still flows when current is no longer flowing in the injector's
coil, which also is less than rated flow.

For a simplistic approach,  if you'd  like to realise the  'full flow
equivalnt' pulse width,  i.e. get the amount of fuel you desire. Can you :

 - 1st work out the equivalent 'full flow' time of this turn on and turn off
as a lumped sum,
    with a battery voltage correction to the on time.

 - 2ndly,  subtract the above total from your wanted fuel duration  for an
ideal injector
    (e.g I want 2milliseconds @ 365cc /min)

-lastly,   add just the 'Ton'  time to this time. (as a duration of Ton will
result in the Toff duration too).

And hopefully the result is now electrical pulse length to control coil, to
get the fuel you want.  Never mind the hassle of getting the parameters for
the injector.

Does this sound o.k.?

Cheers, Nick Parker.