DIY Traction Control

Brian Sidebotham BRIAN at lightprocessor.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 09:39:30 GMT 2002

Hi there all,

 I'm new so be gentle! I expect you've been asked it all before, but
here goes anyway...

 I'm currently developing a traction control system for 2WD cars. I
have gone on the basis that I need to know the rotational speed of
each wheel, detect the rotational differences between the driven,
and non-driven wheels, and vary engine output accordingly.. (Put
simply anyway! ;) )

For the rotational speed, I've chosen to use ABS sensors. My car
was never available with ABS, but it is possible to fit ABS from
different cars to my car.

For modifying the engine speed, I was originally going to use a fly-
by-wire accelerator system, but for two reasons I have chosen to
go a different route:

(a) complexity of design in the fly-by-wire system
(b) engine response is a bit slow, and may not be able to work
effectively as a launch control system aswell.

So I have decided to modify the injector pulses. Effectively not
injecting fuel for a predetermined  number of fires in a time window.
I have worked a time window, which will mean I have a resolution of
2% of the engine power. I feel this is more than adequate for my
application.

It's not really a road-going car, although it is fully road legal, and
will be used on the road quite a bit. I'm not concerned about the
engine popping away, and a slightly rougher ride, rather than the
smoothenss of traction control that I would recieve through the fly-
by-wire system.

So my questions are, am I heading in the right direction? I reckon
an AVR will suit it, I have all the dev kit at work for the AVR's so
theres no problem there. Are there any thoughts between the two
systems, fly-by-wire, and injector suppression?
advantages/disadvantages?

Should I be monitoring anything else? or anything I should be
taking into account.

The algorythms for Traction Control, and Launch control will be
different won't they? At the moment, the changes in the program for
traction, or launch control seem very subtle, and not too well
defined in my head, so any pointers on the alogorythms used
would be really useful.

Sorry for the long post. For further information on my thinking, etc.
See the Traction Control Project section of http://www.valvers.com

BTW, it's for an injection car, motronic 2.5 based ECU system,
4cyl, Driven wheels have an Auto Torque Biasing LSD in the box,
so theres no fear of single-wheel spinning holding things up. Can't
think of anything else that's of use...

Thanks in Advance,
Brian Sidebotham.