Hi!

Eck, Joel Joel.Eck at COMPAQ.com
Thu Mar 7 20:45:28 GMT 2002

for the 700-R4, I'm thinking that if I can lay my hands on the later
('87-up) out of a diesel pickup, I should be fine.. horse trailers are
not my forte', more interested in having the room for hauling relatively
light lumber loads, etc. I have considered the 4L60E, but I haven't yet
had the time to peruse the archives to find out what (if any) trans
stuff I would have to work through, plus, I'll need to check to see if
the '727 ECM can handle that trans appropriately, or if I'd have to come
up with the standalone trans ECM (like from the diesel pickup) to be
able to run it well. I don't imagine the trans code would need much
modification (regardless of which ECM handles it), but I would like the
ability to work that if I wanted to (the one definite advantage I can
see to running the 4L60E, IMO) But I thought I recently read something
that came across the list about a high failure rate on the standalone
trans ECMs...

Thanks for the injector info; I ask because I had already been lurking
on some of the Honda pages & lists out there and was aware that Honda
made a changeover around '92 from P+H to saturated, but I wasn't sure
what the rest of the automotive world was doing.

According to my dad, the scanner he has includes a hookup for the obd1
honda's, but we haven't had an opportunity to test it (we don't know
anyone with an obd1 honda). so, I could have been doing all that for
naught. well, at least I didn't get into the swap to find that out....
I'm not sure what to think about OBD2, most people in honda-land don't
like it, they're all dying to convert from 2 to 1; of course, I'm not
(currently, anyway) planning on boosting it or anything... I've got lots
of time to consider that, so i'll let it be where it is for now.

But, the same idea about converting to a GM ECM setup did occur to me
(just this morning on my way to work, as a matter of fact), and the same
VTEC question popped into my head. VTEC wouldn't be a requirement for
me, it would just be something I would like to do. I thought it out this
far: if the ECM has a function that is usable as an RPM-activated
switch, that can actuate VTEC. the fuel and spark curve adjustments that
would be needed could then possibly be worked into the maps. if not, I
could go the route that several others have gone: use an rpm-activated
switch (MSD or equivalent) to actuate VTEC, then I would still have to
work out the fuel and spark tables in the ECM, the only problem there is
when I hit the appropriate RPM, but VTEC does not engage, the fuel and
spark maps would be out of whack. I could work around that by wiring the
VTEC solenoid so it comes up regardless of oil pressure or temperature,
but I like that little safety feature.... But I guess if my oil pressure
isn't high enough, I've got more problems than having fuel and spark
curves out of whack; and if I'm stupid enough to run it up into VTEC
territory while it's cold....well, I probably do need to figure that
part out. Maybe a temp switch controlled rev limiter.. Hey, I could work
in the DIS while I'm at it...

thanks, Joel.