Wideband for sale..??

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Mar 21 08:22:44 GMT 2002

Is that "sour grapes", Mr. Theurer?

Since the DIY-WB guys are not making a profit of the boards, there's no reason
not to suggest that Kris find a commercial unit if he's mainly interested in
tuning.

I've found in the past that knowing what's involved in assembling and testing an
important tool can be absolutely invaluable if, say, your wb sensor/box/display
starts acting up on a Wednesday night at the track.  Sure the commercial guys
will talk to you the next morning, after you needed someone there to help.  And
after you go through the usual "Well that's the first time we've ever heard of
_that_ problem" disclaimers you can sometimes get them to offer to look at it
for a fee (nothing ever breaks under warranty!) And then if you're not unlucky
you'll get the unit there without damage, and they'll look at it and find a
problem to fix (nothing ever acts up with the technician around!)  And you'll
probably get the unit back in 2 to 3 weeks time.

And if you really rely on this tool and you've had any experience with the
scenario above, you'll end up investing in 2 of them because redundancy is
really key to preventing downtime due to failures involving non-maintainable
tools.  So, now, in addition to having bought the expense of paying for any
repairs needed on one unit, you'll have invested in another just to prevent a
"double loss" of time when the thing breaks down...

And you might find like so many owners of commercial WB displays have in the
past that you're tied to using a sensor from the vendor due to some type of
proprietary calibration scheme, which means that you need to be very careful not
to make any mistakes and damage the $120 sensor (which you will now need to pay
$400 for due to that same proprietary calibration scheme).

I'm not suggesting that any one brand of commercial WB sensor will bring with it
all these problems, nor that FJO's sensor is any worse than anyone else's.  The
repair/warranty issue is something to consider especially if you live in a
different country then the originator of the product.  Availability and
compatibility of replacement parts should also be weighed in.  And so should
availability of general info on the product as well as people with experience
using it.  At least that's what I've found.

And look, I conveyed my message without doing anything to provoke a fight. : )

Shannen