Injector timing

James Ballenger vtjballeng at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 21 08:23:11 GMT 2002

    Vaporization is your friend.  It serves to cool the intake valve and
mixes superbly with the incoming air, leading to smaller fuel droplet sizes
than with current injectors and current pressures.  Most oem's strive to do
just the opposite of what you propose, they strive to time the injection
event while the valve is closed.  Obviously this only works up to a
particular duty cycle, depending on the fuel delivery range of the injectors
vs the engines fuel demand.

    Even if you wanted to get large  injectors such that at full duty cycle,
you would only be firing at a closed intake valve you would run into
problems.  Your top end power may increase incrementally, as well as your
top end emissions.  However, your idle quality would turn into a flaming
pile of dog crap.  You would have to use injection times that are too low
for accurate fuel delivery.  The two injector idea would work perfectly, but
I don't feel the added cost and complexity are even close to worth the
incremental gains obtainable.  Though it might be a consideration with
forced induction and very wide fuel range needs that prevent injector sizing
for the high end and low end.

My $.02,
James Ballenger