DIY-WB02 display / Testing

Chad Clendening clendenc at execpc.com
Fri Mar 22 08:06:50 GMT 2002

Is the question about the circuit being more efficient or the test aparatus being better?

For testing:

I have some 13 ohm 250 watt Dale resistors I used for prototypes #1 and 2.  They worked very
well.
They are probably expensive - I don't know, found them on top of a trash bin a few jobs ago.

Otherwise, put the light bulb on a metal plate on your bench.

for the circuit -

Can it be done?

yes, a little more efficient BUT it would require a switching technique and complicate the
design.
The total power consumed would not be much less:

The UEGO heater needs about 11.5 volts to stay warm.
Typical battery voltage is 14 - 14.5 volts.

linear:       1.2 amps at 14.5 volts =  17.4 watts
switching  1.2 amps at 11.5   volts = 13.8 watts round to 14 watts for waste.

leaving a differance of 3.4 watts total dissipation.

These numbers are for an WB in free air.  Exhaust temps will aid the heater and cause less
current to flow.
One could substitute a FET for the bipolar output.  This would require modification of the V
/ I limiting circuitry.
The benefit would be limited to about a 0.3 volts lower requirement.

Chad