Basic Eng/EFI questions

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 22 08:21:15 GMT 2002

I know this looks like a long post, but is really a number of small
questions. thanks for the input..............

I have been messing around with my car for some time now & need to get
serious with the tuning  before I embark on another one (or it will never
get done).  I had a few questions though.

I have a 71 Camaro w/a 383, Super Ram, 8D, 7730, 700R4 (not controlled by
ECM), 2600 Stall lock up converter, Dart Iron heads, 1 7/8" Hookers, w/dual
2 1/2" flow master exhaust, dual electric fans (not controlled by ECM),
probably too much cam, & a 3.42 gear.

The questions are, I am running a 180* Stat in it now, but the fan switch
does not kick the Fans on until about 200 & kicks them back off again @
about 195 (Not ECM controlled).  The question is, should I step up to a 195*
Stat or leave the 180* stat in?  I like the car running cool (just cause I
am paranoid), so I would prefer to keep the 180 stat in, but if there is a
good reason to put the 195* in, no problem.

Another question, when it is cold out (50 -> 55*) the car will not get up to
temp (especially on the freeway).  The car does not have a heater or a
bypass on the engine, it only has the little hole in the stat to bleed out
the air bubbles.  I just don't get it.  if I let it idle for 30 minutes, it
will get up to temp, but I have to be sitting for 30 minutes, any airflow &
it drops like a rock.  any thoughts?

on a similar note, do you think that I ought to jump under the dash & wire
up the fans to the ECM?  I probably ought to, but have been just to lazy to
do it & the fan switch has worked fine for me for years so..................
Maybe when summer comes & the car starts to run warm again, I might sing a
different tune.

Thanks for the input

Bob Wooten
r71chevy at earthlink.net