[Diy_efi] "reading" a turbo (as you might read plugs"

Stephen Webb swebb at netlab.uky.edu
Wed May 1 03:00:56 GMT 2002

I have had the wonderful opportunity to take my wastegate off of my turbo
(downpipe stud broken off in the wastegate housing).  I noticed the
wastegate "swingvalve" and the turbine both were somewhat
discolored.  It's a light grey/white powdery looking "coating", though it
doesn't seem to rub off readily.

I have some pictures (about 250k each, I think) if anyone cares to look:

http://web.qx.net/lizjones/t3/

It was hard to get a picture of the turbine as the turbo is still in the
car and not very accessible.

A few notes:

0.  I'm not even sure if you can "read"  a turbo like you can read plugs,
but I figured I'd try.
1.  Turbo was coated with "Jet Hot" coating.  Mostly on the outside, I
presume, but there was definitely some on the inside as well.
2.  Turbo has about 1000-2000 miles on it since the rebuild/jet hot.
3.  Car runs very well, and it always seems to run a bit rich, and never
lean (As per my cheap-o narrow band POS gauge.  No flames please)
4.  I believe I am running with my timing retarded right now.
5.  I know internal wastegates suck.

I mention the Jet Hot because some parts of the turbo may appear to be
very discolored when in reality it's just the coating.  And secondly, I
figured that maybe the white powdery coating on the turbine / swingvalve
was from the coating coming off perhaps.

------------------------------------

While I'm at it, (and while the list seems to be on the subject of
traction control):

Can anyone point me to a resource that explains how the Quaife
limited slip differential works?  I've read / looked at the product
literature, but I haven't really been able to follow it (not enough detail
for me).

I finally bought one for my car - mostly because I want / need one now,
but I was really hoping that once I had it in my hands I could figure it
out.  I was too chicken shit to open it up, so I'm left wondering.

TIA

-Steve