[Diy_efi] PC ECU?

Tomas Sokorai Sch. tsokorai at xperts.cl
Mon May 6 13:09:29 GMT 2002

On Monday 06 May 2002 07:24, Bevan Weiss wrote:
> A design has been made that incorporates the MC68332(EFI332), I can't see a
> reason why one couldn't be made using a Pentium 233 or similar.  However, I
> guess the real question would have to be... is there really a need??

I considered using a standard PC CPU for a custom EFI board, but have you
looked at the Pentium datasheet? The mc68332 is a microcontroller CPU, so it
is pretty stand alone, but with the Pentium there is a much needed chipset to
manage the complexity of it's signals. Even with the stone aged 8088, Intel
was recomending the use of a a chipset (8288) to arbitrate the bus. But al
least this CPU has a stand alone mode (called MIN mode according to Intel's
datasheet).
For me, the x86 CPUs are WAY out of my league for a homemade board.

Tomas Sokorai Sch.