Fw: [Diy_efi] compression ratio

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Thu May 9 17:06:03 GMT 2002

At 11:29 PM 5/8/02, Grant Beaty wrote:
>Wow, thats a lot of water. I know this is a bit OT (the thread is anyway),
>but if you spray water evenly into all cylinders, can it take the place of
>fuel? That is, could you theoretically run 14.7:1 at WOT, spraying water for
>cooling instead of fuel? My setup will be 2D mapped, so I can take out fuel
>and the water injector's duty cycle increases.

Excess fuel beyond about 14.2 to 1 af ratio is virtually all simply
internal coolant, and can be replaced by water. The excess fuel between
14.7 (stoich) and 14.2 (or so) will give more power--because the hydrogen
in the fuel burns selectively over the carbon, and gives a higher heat of
combustion when it does so.

(Sir Harry and Obert agree with this.)

Greg