[Diy_efi] : Ask the experts #2

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Thu May 16 23:57:48 GMT 2002

Me again,

In thinking about how to build a lo-rise manifold for a 60° V6 I've been
looking at Helmholtz resonators. On paper this seems to be a viable
solution, but there is little I can find on the practicalities for
automotive design. I wondered if anyone had built one of these, and if so

a) Do they work in practice?
b) Are they fairly high Q devices in reality?
c) When calculating the resonant frequency do you set the period based on a
single inlet cycle or such that the pressure pulse comes back for the next
valve opening?
d) One article i did find indicated that, for a v configuraion you need a
seperate resonator for each bank, but didn't really explain why. Any ideas?

Rgds

Bill