[Diy_efi] Positioning of O2 sensor?

Sven svenc at qwest.net
Sun May 19 19:15:25 GMT 2002

Hi folks.  I'm brand new to list.  I am welding a bunghole on my motorcycle
exhaust for the purposes of mounting an unheated O2 sensor and possibly a
type K thermocouple.  To this end,  I'm wondering where to place the
bunghole.

The bike has a single cylinder ( 650cc ) with two exhaust ports and
subsequently two exhaust pipes until they collect into one.

First option:
Position bunghole 3-4" after the cylinder head if O2 sensor can operate on
equivalent displacement of 325cc and mount to a pipe only 1.33" in diameter.

Second option:
After the union of two pipes about 20" from the cylinder head.  In my
readings, many have mentioned that unheated O2 sensors might not operate at
idle or cruising speeds if too far from cylinder head.

Any insights appreciated.

Sven