[Diy_efi] vortec engine piston noise?

Ruffruff8888 at aol.com Ruffruff8888 at aol.com
Tue May 21 15:31:16 GMT 2002

--part1_2f.279b0055.2a1bc0ea_boundary

I do.

I purchased a 2001 silverrado 6.0 liter. It starting rattleing at 3000 miles.
I thought it would quit at about 12K. It got worse.

I contacted a service manager I was good friends with and he indicated the
problem was a loose bore in the engine and the pistons are rocking in the
sleeves. (piston slap). GM dyno'ed the engines until death and decided that
150K was the life of the motor and these noisy motors would make it there.

GM has a Techincal service bulletin on the issue and it plan and simple saids
"DO NOT REPLACE MOTOR" .

The service manager told me a couple of farmers in his area would not take no
for the answer and drained the oil, blew the motor, put the oil back in and
brought the truck in for warrantty on a new motor. The factory uses different
motors than what goes down the mass assembley line so, you get a better motor
under warrantty.

I traded my 2001 for a 2002 after only 30K of miles. Mine rattled ALL the
time. I could not stand it. Sounded like a deasil.

Heres another bit of info. The corvettes had the same problem. Loose bores.
GM replaced the pistons only on those motors under warranty. Well, I dont
have a corvette, but this what the dealer told me when I was getting my new
2002.

GM seems to have resolved the problem for the 2002 6.0. I have 12K on mine
and it seems to have only normal noises.

I have owned the 99 (first year for 6.0 in 2500) and 2001, and 2002 trucks.
The 99's were the best year. I could run with a North* cad with that truck.
However, it was a 3/4 ton light and weight was lower with the 6.0 engine.

Loyde

> If anyone has some concrete information on the piston noise problems
> with the new Chevy vortec truck engines, like what causes it, how it's
> diagnosed, what it sounds like, etc., can you get back to me directly?
>
> thanks,
> --steve
>
> --
> Steve Ravet
> steve.ravet at arm.com
> ARM,Inc.
> www.arm.com

--part1_2f.279b0055.2a1bc0ea_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>I do.
<BR>
<BR>I purchased a 2001 silverrado 6.0 liter. It starting rattleing at 3000 miles. I thought it would quit at about 12K. It got worse.
<BR>
<BR>I contacted a service manager I was good friends with and he indicated the problem was a loose bore in the engine and the pistons are rocking in the sleeves. (piston slap). GM dyno'ed the engines until death and decided that 150K was the life of the motor and these noisy motors would make it there.
<BR>
<BR>GM has a Techincal service bulletin on the issue and it plan and simple saids "DO NOT REPLACE MOTOR" .
<BR>
<BR>The service manager told me a couple of farmers in his area would not take no for the answer and drained the oil, blew the motor, put the oil back in and brought the truck in for warrantty on a new motor. The factory uses different motors than what goes down the mass assembley line so, you get a better motor under warrantty.
<BR>
<BR>I traded my 2001 for a 2002 after only 30K of miles. Mine rattled ALL the time. I could not stand it. Sounded like a deasil.
<BR>
<BR>Heres another bit of info. The corvettes had the same problem. Loose bores. GM replaced the pistons only on those motors under warranty. Well, I dont have a corvette, but this what the dealer told me when I was getting my new 2002.
<BR>
<BR>GM seems to have resolved the problem for the 2002 6.0. I have 12K on mine and it seems to have only normal noises.
<BR>
<BR>I have owned the 99 (first year for 6.0 in 2500) and 2001, and 2002 trucks. The 99's were the best year. I could run with a North* cad with that truck. However, it was a 3/4 ton light and weight was lower with the 6.0 engine.
<BR>
<BR>Loyde
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">If anyone has some concrete information on the piston noise problems
<BR>with the new Chevy vortec truck engines, like what causes it, how it's
<BR>diagnosed, what it sounds like, etc., can you get back to me directly?
<BR>
<BR>thanks,
<BR>--steve
<BR>
<BR>--
<BR>Steve Ravet
<BR>steve.ravet at arm.com
<BR>ARM,Inc.
<BR>www.arm.com</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_2f.279b0055.2a1bc0ea_boundary--