[Diy_efi] vortec engine piston noise?

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at webmail1.mtco.com
Wed May 22 18:19:28 GMT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002 23:49:18 -0400, Shannen Durphey <shannen at grolen.com>
wrote :

The short skirt hypereutectic slugs gm used made a ton of noise.

Hypereutectic pistons require less clearance because they expand less ---
wonder if GM forgot to tighten up the clearances. Last year we rebuilt
a '67 L88 427 BBC. You could still see the original hone marks in the
cylinders @ 40K miles and get a .016 feeler gauge in the bore with the
piston - they don't bend much either. The bore measured about +.010.  I
also have an old HP 2 bolt BBC block that measures about the same... and
those old forged pistons make a lot of noise until they are properly warmed
up....  TomS