[Diy_efi] returnless fuel rails

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Mon May 27 05:18:10 GMT 2002

I would like to suggest that while such a system could be
developed, it might turn out not to be trivial at all.  To begin
with, you have pulse width, pulses per second, and MAP
readings all impacting the required pump drive.  You may
have no idea of the transfer function of the pump, and the
pump you chose may be different or much less predictable
for this application than the one used by Fo*d.  A feedback
system will need a fuel pressure sensor to work at all, and
some kind of Proportional/Integral/Differential (PID) loop
will have to be developed to fit the particular components.

A feed forward system would lessen the accuracy
requirement of the above, but probably not eliminate the
need.  Even if steady state values are reached within
the required accuracy, transition situations could cause
problems and "tuning" to cancel the fuel pressure errors.

Building a reliable pump driver without wiping out your
radio (or ECU signals!) may not be simple either.  If
such problems are not in your line of experience, it
might be best to just plumb in a fuel pressure regulator.

Bruce Roe