[Diy_efi] On topic Aircraft EFI

Phil Lamovie phil at injec.com
Tue May 28 07:36:45 GMT 2002

Hi gang,

First let me qualify the following with these insights.

I have designed and specified fuel injection for both
experimental and registered aircraft. One has even flown from
England to Australia. It was a recreation of the 1919 Vickers
Vimmy Bomber

 http://www.diy-efi.org/diy_efi/html_archives/archive_num_116/msg00066.html

The only word that counts is redundant. On this twin engines aircraft
there
were 4 fuel pumps in pairs  with pressure sensing swap over. If one
pump
dropped the pressure below a set point then the second one was
switched
into use.

There were 4 ECUs. Each engine had two complete systems and could
be switched between the two using a manual or rpm activated switch.

The  c/o was tested before take off. As the ECUs had their own
fuses, wiring, and sensors they were in fact running continuously
although
only one was connected to the injectors at any time.

Engines were fully dynoed for 300 hrs before the aircraft was
assembled.
As the systems were speed/density. There were no O2 sensors as they
would not have lasted the trip on leaded fuel. There were exhaust temp

sensors with alarms set so that even a single cylinder misfire would
be
noticed by the flight engineer even if they didn't hear the change in
pitch.

Oh and after a crash there is always an investigation as to the cause.

We have had one fatality caused by a power flip executed in a
gyrocopter
and the report was concluded without any reference to our FI system.

I believe that the word "idiot" was used with some abandon.

Customer was at less than 150 ft racing a friend in a car along
a highway. He was at full power when the thing hit a low pressure
spot and inverted. Incident to accident time was approx. 3 seconds.

So all in all EFI is not seen as suspicious by the Aircraft Licensing
Authorities. In fact they know too well what a 40 year old magneto is.

HTH,

phil