[Diy_efi] Knock Detection using GM ESC Module

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Wed May 29 15:35:46 GMT 2002

From: bill.shurvinton at nokia.com

From: ext Bruce [mailto:nacelp at bright.net]
>Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Knock Detection using GM ESC Module
>Learning how to read plugs is the only true answer

Here's another example in as many days. The guy said, AND I QUOTE
verbatim,

>The engine ran fine on the dyno and in testing ...

But you just *had* to imply the whole team was stupid or lame, and
didn't "shake down" the engine prior to race day. Like I said before,
read the friggin post before you rag off at the mouth. These guys have
just suffered a significant loss of time, effort, and expense, and all
you have to say is to shoot from the hip (or should I say the groin)
inspite of contraindications is, "improper shakedown". What an ass.

Even human bodies do this sometimes; it's called a TIA or "transient
ischemic attack", where an artery gets clogged temporarily, and then
opens back up, so you can't find the clot with any instrumentation
means. The guy probly has a floater (a loose fuel obstruction), one of
the most difficult fueling intermittents to find. This is a major
exposure in aircraft fuel systems as well, unlike street vehicles, since
you have MAJOR fuel motion in the air or in a race car. Just one of the
several cases where REAL incipient knock detection would be worth it's
weight in gold, especially if it really is caused by a fueling
occlusion, since it's onset is often preceeded by gradual enleanment
from fuel starvation, where you creep up on the detonation slowly (well,
slowly in 'engine time').

Gradual approach towards conditions of detonation can be detected with
only two techno's so far: (1) direct combustion pressure sensing, and
the sensors had better be VERY fast, which means lotsa $$, or (2)
ionization current detection, which is inherently high-speed and can
pick up incipient knock better than even pressure transducers.

Those of us not wishing to sit back on our silly laurels of
after-the-fact palmNplug-reading, can look forward to at least TWO
different vendors, one of them a major motorsport retailer (ask me how I
know :) finally bringing out affordable ionization detection products to
the low-end (read, on a budget) proformance/motorsport market later this
year. I'm talkin $100s not $1000s.

Once that's available, you can kiss these armchair hipshooters a fond
sayonara, baby; at least on the subject of detonation
detection/prevention.

Oh BTW, nuthin wrong with reading plugs; nuthin wrong with reading the
Reader's Digest when you're on the can, either. Snort.

Gar