[Diy_efi] Knock Detection using GM ESC Module

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Wed May 29 18:13:39 GMT 2002

Why don't we define what class we're racing it.   That just about dictates
what the rules, and funds will allow.   Like Barry mentioned what was
working for him.   I mentoned what works for me.   For others, their, needs,
and beliefs, will dictate what they'll do.    For some a MSD unit with a
multi-step, might be just fine.  Others might add a WB and fuel correction.
Some might telemetry the info back to the pits so the driver doesn't have to
worry about it at all.  Some might want to use other strategies.

Just as a little story.  Some years ago was on tour with race team, and for
over 1/2 the season things were fine (ie winning alot).  Went to Pocano
raceway.   Immediately blew up 4 engines in one day.  No changes since the
last race other then engine.  All signs lean.  We checked everything, 2-3-4
times, and then that night tore the entire fuel system out of the car.  No a
problem any where.  Went back to the track the next day and immediately ate
the last 2 engines.   Called home, and had the engine guy *carry-on* an
engine, and he brought out some flow testing stuff.   After some *creative*
arm bending we got him, in the car, with the flow stuff and the driver made
a fairly hot lap.   Turns out that in this particular installation and at
this particular track with the foam in the cell packed just as it was, the
fuel was being areated.  We put together a little surge tank and return
line, and won the race the next day.  The car had been raced an entire
season in the past, and probably 15-16 races that year before the problem
raised it's ugly head.
  Like I said nothing beats testing, and when your done testing do some more
to make sure you've got it right.    It's way to esy to assume your test
program is complete, when in fact it might cost you 6 engines in a weekend.
  Anyone that goes racing with all their marbles in one bag, will have
problems.

Anyone know of a class of racing (ICE) where they don't read plugs?.
    I haven't been to a F1 race, but in all the NASCAR, CART, TRANS AM,
SCCA, NHRA, AHRA, NTPA, stuff I've been too, it was done fairly often.

(or whatever the doc allows you for recreational consumption)
The meds are already doing enough damage to things, they don't need any help
<g>.

Bruce