[Diy_efi] Knock Detection using GM ESC Module

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu May 30 17:53:26 GMT 2002

The oem ESC is an acoustic filter.    As a matter of catalytic converter
design, and preservation, they have to run really rich at WOT.   So the
filter winds up being tuned for best use around max torque.   As you drift
from there they are less and less accurate.    The oems are worried first
and formost about warranty repairs, so they are going to do there best work
where cars are most likely to have there problems.   At least this is the
way things appear to me.

Going by Barry's experience the MSD sounds like a decent unit, and from what
I've heard the J+S is another good one.

You might buy the MSD and hook it up along with the one your currently
running, and actually test them side to side to see how it works in your
application.  If it doesn't work, there's always eBay <g>.   Might even try
various ESC modules time permiting.

Anything dealing with #5 and I'd also be looking at manifolding, and chance
for cross firing.
Bruce