[Diy_efi] Ways to effectively use O2 sensor on motorcycle?

Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca
Fri May 31 14:58:32 GMT 2002

Sven,
I have used a heated O2 sensor on my Moto Guzzi motorcycle for about 5
years now.  I use a digital panel meter for routine monitoring and a Fl=
uke
DMM with min/max/avg capability for specific testing. You absolutely ne=
ed
the min/max/avg capability to do any sort of controlled testing.

I did try a unheated O2 sensor but found it too dependent on EGT to pro=
vide
meaningful readings.  I strongly suggest using a heated unit.

Overall a basic "narrowband" heated O2 sensor will give you some
interesting info, saving you the need to do a lot of plug chops and giv=
ing
you pretty good jetting but it is still dependent on EGT and you will n=
ot
be able to produce the "ultimate" jetting.

The Wideband O2 sensor and associated circuitry developed by some of th=
wizards on this list will give you a better chance at finding that
"ultimate"setting.

Neil

Hi list.=A0 If  there is a more appropriate list for this subject, plea=
se
advise.

I have never tried  to interpret the output of an O2 sensor.=A0 In this=

particular case I am  looking to use a DMM to figure out if=A0which
carburetor circuits  are=A0creating=A0lean or excessively rich=A0air/fu=
el
mixtures.=A0=A0The=A0DMM has=A05ms resolution in "capture"  mode=A0whic=
h records the
lowest and highest values ( volts DC from sensor )  while in the mode.=A0=
 An
tone is produced when a new low or high is recorded  which, if it can b=
heard while riding, might give some indication as to which  carburetor
circuit is responsible.=A0 If not, I'll just retrieve low and high  val=
ue
after the ride, adjust accordingly, and test again.

Before I have a  bunghole welded and mount the Bosch Universal O2 senso=
r (
part # 11027, single  wire, unheated )=A0I'd appreciate peoples comment=
on=A0the effectiveness  of this technique=A0.=A0=A0Any other ways to us=
e an O2
sensor=A0to  tune carburetor ?

Sven
=A0>