[Diy_efi] closed loop system for boost

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 3 16:10:49 GMT 2002

--- Eric D Byrd <klox at juno.com> wrote:

> The catch is, of course, water doesn't burn, so you
> will get about 20% less power because of the fuel
> you are replacing.

Actually, it's the air you're replacing that is the
issue.  you can always get more than enough fuel in;
air is the limiting factor.

> Yeah, I realize there is currently no closed loop
> fuel system for boost.  But what are we all here
> for, on this list, but to create some EFI system
> that is not available?

Well, I presume that at least some of it is to avoid
dead ends that have been driven down before.
Otherwise, you probably wouldn't have asked, I'm
guessing; you would have simply started working on it,
and kept a spare motor around in case you got it
wrong!  ;)

> Without exception, every technological advance ever
> achieved, was achieved by somebody trying to do
> something never done before.

True, but then you must separate out the things that
haven't actually been done before from the things that
have, but you don't know about.  ;)

> To point out that it's never been done is sort of
> redundant, and doesn't make much sense.

I'm sure, quite sure, that someone somewhere has tried
it at some point, and found it lacking; you're welcome
to prove me wrong.  I'd love to learn something new,
but I fear it won't be about using an O2 sensor to
fuel for boost.  :D

> We have emissions laws because we have too many
> emissions,

I think that is a mistake.  While clearly it's a good
thing to lower emissions, and one should attack the
problem in the most reasonable cost-to-benefit manner
available, I think that, like many laws, some
component of emissions laws ends up being feel-good
legislation, re-election legislation, compromise to
get donations from corporate sponsors...  If laws
happen to end up with a social or environmental
benefit, it's almost accidental.  Often, the science
behind calls for such laws is questionable; witness
air bags, which were legislated despite the fact that
no one could ever get them to work for their intended
purpose (replacing seat belts), and actual numbers
show they cause a great number of non-lethal accidents
that would otherwise be avoided, while not
significantly reducing the number of fatalities.

> and if we don't take some care that our performance
> engines run clean, the legislators will eventually
> come after us instead of just continually tightening
> mass production emissions laws.

Oh, have no fear, they will do so anyway.  I don't see
anyone doing comprehensive measurements of the
"Additional damage" done by performance modifications,
so any legislation on the subject will be speculative,
at best.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |