[Diy_efi] Newbie with a simplified Motronic project

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 4 04:53:43 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Wade" <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Newbie with a simplified Motronic project

> --- Eric D Byrd <klox at juno.com> wrote:
>
> > Every electrical component ever manufactured
> > eventually -- eventually -- experiences changes in
> > its operating characteristics due to age, especially
> > if heat is involved, and more especially if extreme
> > variation of temperature is involved.
>
> True, except this isn't a sensor in the traditional
> sense.  It's simply a resistive wire, and if that
> changes its resistance vs. temperature profile, then
> we'll have to rewrite physics!  :D
>
> If there is a solid-state temperature sensor involved,
> then there's definitely more of a reason to worry
> about calibration changing, however.
Any time you want precision comparison (or measurement) you should be
worried about the comparison (or measurement) device changing value.  How
accurately you want to measure corresponds to how much you should worry...

> > And you are right, physics does not go out of
> > calibration.  The trouble is, the devices we build
> > often don't account for physical effects that seem
> > irrelevant, or that we don't know about.
>
> Therein lies the learning curve.  ;)  Many of these
> manufacturers (Bosch especially) have been doing this
> for eons, just about, and they don't tend to get
> surprised too often.  ;)
>
> > It's a mistake to assume a device will never
> > experience variations in its response, from
> > physical effects we haven't accounted for.
>
> Again, it would be a pretty spectacular upheaval of
> the laws of physics if a stable metal changed its
> resistive characteristics over time, AFAIK.  ;)

What's a stable metal???
Certainly none that I know of.
Iron reacts with oxygen to give various IronOxides.
Aluminium reacts with oxygen to give AluminiumOxide
Copper easily tarnishes, and reacts with oxygen, chlorine, bromine, pretty
mcuh anything
Sodium can jetboat around on water, before bursting into flame.

I'm not sure of where you can obtain a stable metal.