[Diy_efi] Newbie with a simplified Motronic project

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Mon Nov 4 18:37:52 GMT 2002

Adam Wade wrote:

> --- Eric D Byrd <klox at juno.com> wrote:
>
> > Every electrical component ever manufactured
> > eventually -- eventually -- experiences changes in
> > its operating characteristics due to age, especially
> > if heat is involved, and more especially if extreme
> > variation of temperature is involved.
>
> True, except this isn't a sensor in the traditional
> sense.  It's simply a resistive wire, and if that
> changes its resistance vs. temperature profile, then
> we'll have to rewrite physics!  :D

The resistive element does change.  Thermal cycling changes the metal.

Why do electric oven elements burn out?
Why do toasters burn out?
Why do light bulbs burn out?
Why do automotive (or other) fuses mysteriously fail when there is no short
circuit present?

I would be disbelieving of any argument that does not provide for the
resistance of the element to change as the element approaches failure.

And there is the very real issue of contaminant accumulation on the
hotwire.  If it were a non-issue, there would be no heat cycle applied to
the sensor wire.  There would also not be OEM issued service bulletins
discussing
checking of the sensor wire.

> Therein lies the learning curve.  ;)  Many of these
> manufacturers (Bosch especially) have been doing this
> for eons, just about, and they don't tend to get
> surprised too often.  ;)

But they do!  Witness Delco's poorly designed MAF sensor of the 80's, or
the failure rate of Bosch MAF sensors in early F and Y car GM vehicles.
It's the surprises that keep dealerships' technicians performing warranty
repairs.

Shannen