[Diy_efi] Re: Looking for circuit to turn transfer pump off at certain

Toyota Supra turbosupramk3 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 11 03:03:27 GMT 2002

hey bevan, thanks for the reply, maybe this will help clarify ...

here are the specifics, my gas tank is a saddle tank, meaning that it has
two sides to it like saddle bags on a horse. now the pumps are on the left
side, and the mechanical venturi valve that used to transfer the fuel from
the right side, had to be removed.

so my dilema is, how do i get fuel from the right side of the tank, to the
left side where the fuel pumps sit, so that i am not driving around on only
a 1/2 tank of usable gas, even though the entire tank is full?

well, my design thought was to have a transfer pump intank, that drew from
the right side, to the left side, at all times that the car was on, except
for when the right side of the tank got low on fuel. this is because the
fuel acts as a lubricant to the transfer pump, and if it ran dry for any
period, it would probably burn up.

so the way i decided to control the transfer pump was to use the existing
sending unit that is in the right side of the tank (which reads 0 to 3.5v,
full being 0v - bone dry being 3.5V) and use that sending units output as a
reference signal for the circuit, and having that circuit turn a relay off
(or on) to control the power to the transfer pump.

i appologize if this reads confusing and that it is so long, but i wanted to
be as detailed as possible. if you think your circuit design would work, i'd
be very grateful if i could have a copy of it. thank you for the reply

-j