[Diy_efi] A timing related question

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 17:38:01 GMT 2002

--- John Petersen <john at underwoodgroup.com> wrote:

> My question is: How do I know I have a good timing
> value?

Obviously, the best way would be to simply adjust for
best power at a given RPM and throttle opening using
an eddy-current dyno.

Failing that, your best bet would be with a four-gas
analyzer, but again that will only be useful if the
vehicle is steady-state at the time (i.e., on an eddy
current chassis dyno, if you hope to make a good 3D
map).

> Secondly, I must reduce exhaust gas temperatures
> (which are currently stratospheric). I have been
> told that EGT follows a pattern of decreasing with
> increased timing (more advance), up to the point at
> which knock occurs.

Hm.  I never played with EGT much when setting
ignition timing.  What you say makes sense, though, as
more of the heat energy gets turned into work as you
advance the timing (up to a point, of course).

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |