[Diy_efi] LPG injection

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 18 14:38:35 GMT 2002

I seem to recall a project in Australia where someone used this
on a turbo vehicle - ostensibly to get around intercooler issues,
and I think they used a non standard injector that woudn't freeze
up at low temperatures - I wouldnt expect it to be too difficult
to find - from what I recall performance was quite dramatic in that
high boost levels could be used with no Intercooler,

rgds

mike

At 10:19 AM 18/11/2002 +1100, you wrote:
>Glynne,
>	I stand to be corrected, but from what I understand there is one major
hurdle which has dogged the concept of LPG injection. And that is the
"Latent Heat of Vaporisation" of the LPG. The reason is that liquid fuels
are injected as microfine droplets, but still a liquid however when you try
to inject LPG it submilates, IE it turns directly from a liquid to a gas.
To do this it absorbs heat from the surounding structure(metal, air, etc) -
large amounts of heat - much more localised cooling than the waste heat
into the area from the combustion chambers - and tends to freeze the
injector - literally freeze it solid (either open or closed!) - thus end of
control, BIG problems! This problem may have been solved, but to my
knowledge has not yet been. This is obviously a much more fundamental issue
to resolve before considering an ECU!

From: "Glynne Jones" <celtec88 at hotmail.com>