[Diy_efi] New project

Erik Jacobs emj14 at columbia.edu
Thu Nov 21 20:00:18 GMT 2002

========
On a turbo car, is VE effected by pre-turbo intake path characteristics?  It
seems to me that since the turbos are "pushing" the air at the throttle
body, pre-turbo intake wouldn't matter to VE.  But it would affect maximum
boost level...compressor efficiency as opposed to engine efficiency, I
guess.  Is this the way it actually works?
========

Well, the "pre-turbo" part of the intake is essentially being sucked on by
the compressor.  If, for some reason, the compressor found it very difficult
to suck in this air, it might affect the total amount of air that the
compressor may be able to compress given its speed (as regulated by the
turbine side).  Now, I've never heard of anyone worrying about this, because
it seems that, as long as the filter isn't terrible and the pipe is at least
as large as the compressor inlet opening, there should be no problem there
(and therefore no effect on VE).

And, obviously (?), with a turbo you can far exceed VE of 100%