[Diy_efi] Engine ECM combination

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Oct 10 13:57:12 GMT 2002

1)  Put need number 5 with druther number 2 and you've got an issue.  The
xfire intake has way more plenum volume, so you need to change PE and/or AE
data.  Without the change, step on the throttle and "pop" just like a badly
tuned carb.  Plus the runners in the xfire are longer, yet smaller, so the
VE tables ends up being different.

2) most blocks cast after 1987 and installed in light duty trucks or cars
have the casting for roller lifters.  But many are not machined for roller
lifters.  For what you want, a 3/4 or one ton truck made after 1993-ish
should do.

3) I don't know the new head casting nos.  The heads used on tbi engines
made from 86 on, and on carby angines in 86 and 87 have the wrong bolt
pattern for the xfire.  If you don't mind adapting, the tbi heads are good
for torque.  A nice combination might involve the xfire and a set of
aluminum heads from a tpi Vette.  Otherwise, all pre '86 heads will bolt up
to the roller block and the xfire intake.  My xfire intake is currently on
a set of 83 vintage 305 heads.

4) 7747 plus custom image.  You might get some great starter images from
people who have installed a 7747 onna xfire.  You might want to make
changes for durability as the van is likely to spend more time under load.
I'd go with less agressive timing, possibly even copying spark data from a
van or 3/4 ton truck based calibration.

5) xfire throttle cable enters from the front of the engine instead of the
rear.  I'd look at a detent cable from an xfire equipped Vette or F car.
The van throttle cables are usually a mile long, so you should be ok with
that.

6) fuel pump:  Best bet is to get a gm designed tank to install.  It can be
much easier in the long run.
Shannen